Big Blue Button
BigBlueButton (BBB) is an open source web conferencing system for on-line learning. BBB supports multiple audio and video sharing, presentations with extended whiteboard capabilities â€“ such as a pointer, zooming and drawing â€“ public and private chat, desktop sharing, integrated VoIP, and support for presentation of PDF documents and Microsoft Office documents. Users may enter the conference in one of two roles: viewer or moderator. BigBlueButton enables you to share documents, webcams, chat, audio and your desktop. It can also record sessions for later playback.
As a viewer, a user may join the voice conference, share their webcam, raise their hand, and chat with others. As a moderator, a user may mute/un-mute others, eject any user from the session, and make any user the current presenter. The presenter may upload slides and control the presentation.
Application to All Courses
- Integrated application for use within Learning Management Systems allows instructors to hold synchronous meetings and classes online.
- Participants can ask questions in real-time with the instructor/moderator during or outside of class hours.
- Synchronous learning for online courses allows live discussion and dynamic interaction blending traditional course interaction with the ability for real-time desktop sharing and slide presentation.
- Integrates into blended learning courses where the classroom can be anywhere the instructor chooses, bringing the online learning environment into the outside world.Â An online architecture class could, for instance, bring the class to a project site, or an archeology professor could hold class around an excavation.
- Allows students to hold their own virtual study groups or discuss a group project together in real time in a web conference.
Big Blue Button can be integrated into Learning Management Systems. To learn more about Big Blue Button, view UF Information Technologyâ€™s training site.