Canvas is an open source Learning Management System that is currently supported and sponsored by the University of Florida for online and distance learning. The Canvas Learning Management System tools include:
- Learning Outcomes
- Peer Review
- Tests & Quizzes
Application to All Courses
- The storing and dissemination of educational content using a variety of Web-based tools.
- Provides a framework for a virtual learning environment.
- Allows for instructors to collect, assess, give feedback, and track student work using a variety of assessment capabilities.
- Extends the boundaries of the traditional classroom.
- Allows for the addition of live discussion and dynamic interaction in synchronous distance learning.
- Easy to facilitate communication, participation, and collaboration between groups of students and the instructor.
- Discussion Boards
Canvas at the University of Florida
- Canvas Support at the UF Computing Help Desk
- Canvas Help Center
- Canvas Guides
- UF Learning Support Services: Canvas Tutorials, FAQs, and Known Issues
- UF Learning Support Services: Workshops
- UF Learning Support Services: Canvas Tutorials
Public Sample Courses:
- Art Appreciation
- Game Design Concepts
- Social Media
- Warrington College of Business Student Guides
- CITT Course Samples
- Florida State College at Jacksonville: Canvas LMS brief technical review
- 36 Free Canvas LMS Tutorials
For information on the types of tools and features available in Canvas visit the CITT Tools & Techniques Toolbox:
- Big Blue Button
- Camtasia Studio
- Collaborative/Peer Editing
- Discussion Boards
- Learning Management Systems
Keep accessibility in mind as you develop course content and build assignments and assessments. Many online tools are not fully accessible, so it’s important to think about how you will make the assignment accessible if requested. The Disability Resource Center and the UF Accessibility page will guide you in making appropriate accommodations. You can also find out more about accessibility at our toolbox page on Accessibility in the Online Classroom.