Online journaling assignments and other reflective writing assignments can be used in traditional, blended, or online courses to help create a sense of community, or to provide reflective writing practice. Some writing tools also encourage further engagement by providing peer review, self-assessment, or collaborative editing capabilities.
Application to All Courses
- As a low-stakes writing activity, journaling can be used to assess students’ writing ability and to provide practice and feedback.
- The process of providing feedback on student journaling assignments can be used to model appropriate communication between peers in an academic setting.
- Students may become actively engaged when they reflect critically on content.
- In comparison to grading hand-written journals, faculty can respond to online journal postings quickly and easily. In some cases, the grading and feedback can be provided directly within the LMS.
- The likelihood of learning is improved when students’ perceive that their instructor cares about their personal academic achievement.
- Educause Article: E-Journaling: Achieving Interactive Education Online.
- Writing assignments: The Cornell University Center for Teaching Excellence details a variety of writing assignments which can be used to engage students, including journaling and reflective writing.
- TAMU University Writing Center: Journals
- E-Journaling: Achieving Interactive Education Online Electronic journaling enhances interactivity in traditional and online courses, fostering intellectual exchange and successful learning
- Write in Private. Your own personal journal and online diary.
- Open Journal System: Biodiversity Information Standards example.
- King, F.B. & LaRocco, D.J. (2006, Feb). E-Journaling: A Strategy to Support Student Reflection and Understanding. Current Issues in Education [On-line], 9(4).
- Reynolds, J.A., Thaiss, C., Katkin, W., & Thompson, R.J., Jr. (2012). Writing-to-Learn in Undergraduate Science Education: A Community-Based, Conceptually Driven Approach. CBE Life Sciences Education, 11(1).
The following tools may be used for online journaling assignments: