Sakai is an open source Learning Management System that is currently supported and sponsored by the University of Florida for online and distance learning. The Sakai Learning Management System tools include:
- Chat Room
- RSS Feeds
- Tests & Quizzes
- Web Links
- Site Info
- Site Stats
Application to All Courses
- The storing and dissemination of educational content using a variety of Web-based tools.
- Provides a framework for a virtual learning environment.
- Allows for instructors to collect, assess, give feedback, and track student work using a variety of assessment capabilities.
- Extends the boundaries of the traditional classroom.
- Allows the addition of live discussion and dynamic interaction in synchronous distance learning.
- Easy to facilitate communication, participation, and collaboration between groups of students and with the instructor.
View more educational uses and benefits of the features and tools of E-Learning in Sakai:
- Breakout Rooms
- Database (link uses and benefits)
- Discussion Boards (link uses and benefits)
- Elluminate Live!
- Emails (link uses and benefits)
- IM or Chat
- Learning Management Systems (link uses and benefits)
- RSS Feeds
View the Teaching with Sakai Innovation Awards winning courses from 2010:
- First Prize: Scott Bowman, Juvenile Justice, Texas State University-San Marcos
- Second Prize: Sally Knipe, Transitions in Middle Schooling, Charles Sturt University
- Honorable Mention: Joshua Danish, Computational Technologies in Educational Ecosystems, Indiana University Bloomington
- Honorable Mention: Karen Swenson, Introduction to Science Fiction and Fantasy, Virginia Tech
Visit e-Learning Support Services at the University of Florida for more information on how to get started with E-Learning in Sakai
Visit the Learning Support Services Training Site to enroll in workshops on getting started with E-Learning in Sakai
Articles and Examples
- Content Delivery in Sakai: Example courses from the University of Delaware.
- Sakai Home: The Sakai Project website.
- Sakai Opened Practices: Sakai website including teaching and learning practices, example courses, and resources within Sakai.
- Teaching With Sakai Innovation Awards: Website for entering or viewing last year’s winners of the Sakai Innovative practices awards for educators utilizing the Sakai learning management system.
- Wikipedia – Managed Learning Environment: Detailed information about managed learning environments such as Sakai.
- Wikipedia – Sakai Project: Detailed information about the Sakai open source learning management system.
Sakai at the University of Florida
- Learning Support Services Training Site: Enroll in workshops on getting started with E-Learning in Sakai.
- UF Sakai Help: A detailed website from Learning Support Services at the University of Florida including help with Sakai, FAQs, tutorials, and how to request a Sakai shell for course development.
- UF Sakai Login: The E-Learning in Sakai login and support site.
For information on similar tools in the CITT Tools & Techniques Toolbox visit:
- Learning Management Systems
- Virtual Classroom Environments