Skype is a free, downloadable software package that uses the internet to provide a real-time interactive environment designed for use in distance communication. Skype allows users to make voice and video calls over the internet. Computer-to-computer calls are free, while there is a nominal fee for calls to landlines or cell phones. Group calls can mix computer-to-computer calls and phone/cell phone users, and may host up to 25 participants.
Skype includes multiple real-time features to aid in the simulation of a face-to-face meeting or discussion.
These tools include:
- Free Skype to Skype calls
- Calls to cell phones and landlines
- Group Calls
- Call Forwarding
- Caller Identification
- Video Calls
- Group Video Calls
- Instant Messages
- Text Messaging
- Group IMs
- Sending Files
Application to All Courses
- Extends the boundaries of the traditional classroom.
- Allows live discussion in synchronous distance learning.
- Engages students through the use of real-time interaction.
- Encourages collaboration among students and instructors.
- Allows for participation from any computer, landline, or cell phone thus enabling guest speakers and lecturers.
- Instructors can hold virtual office hours.
- Allows for one-on-one instruction or tutoring.
- Mock interviews
The following links will open examples in a new window.
- Skype essentials: Skype provides free tutorial videos on a variety of subjects including adding a contact, checking audio and video settings, keeping your profile up-to-date, sending an instant message, making free voice and video calls, sending files and photos, and more.
Keep accessibility in mind as you develop course content and build assignments and assessments. Many online tools are not fully accessible, so it’s important to think about how you will make the assignment accessible if requested. The Disability Resource Center and the UF Accessibility page will guide you in making appropriate accommodations. You can also find out more about accessibility at our toolbox page on Accessibility in the Online Classroom.